It was one of those cold, wet, windy and thoroughly miserable early spring days, that made me crave what friends call “red food” in other words a warming casserole made with juicy tomatoes to create “red food.”
With some good gluts of red wine, garlic rich sausages and some tasty root vegetables this turned out to be delicious…
A very easy (and quick to make) crowd pleaser...
- Toulouse Sausages - 6 - 8 Sausages
- Garlic - 4 plump cloves, sliced thinly
- Red Onion - 2 Chopped roughly
- Chicken Stock - I stock cube, or use fresh stock
- Tomatoes - 1 tin
- Red Wine - 0.5 Bottle
- Thyme - A few leaves to add at the end
- Carrots - 3 Carrots cut into disks
I started off by browning the sausages.
They were then removed from the pan, to allow me to fry off the onion and garlic in the sausage juices.
Once the onion and garlic was translucent I simply added all of the other ingredients and brought up to a slow simmer on the hob.
I then popped the casserole dish in the oven at 160C for an hour or so.
20 minutes before the end I added the thyme.
Delicious served with freshly baked bread and of course a glass of a good robust red wine...